Translate

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Legalize Transgender Part 2

I was so taken aback by the reception on my previous post that I thought it'd be a good idea to do another follow up post. One major component of transgender politics that I missed was the Employment Non Descrimination Act (ENDA). Basically, the act prohibits employment discrimination based on sexual or gender identity with businesses larger than 15 people. The Senate passed ENDA on November 17, 2013, which is a pretty big deal considering the fact that ENDA has been on the legislative table since the Stonewall Riots in 1974. It was also a pretty big deal since it received significant bipartisan support with a whopping 10 Republican Senators voting in jts favor. This historic act will be consummated with majority approval in the House of Representatives. Hopefully we won't see any right wing morons find a way to block its passage. This probably won't happen considering the direction that our country is going with LGBT politics- after all, the Supreme Court and state legislatures are standing on the right side of history.

I also forgot to reiterate my opinion in my last post and put some perspective on why I wrote it. Obviously, it should be clear based on the title "Legalize Transgender" that I fully support equal rights for transgender citizens. I firmly believe that no one should be discriminated against on grounds of race, age, gender, or sexual orientation- you name it. During my gap year I've immersed myself in the LGBT community and have realized that transgenderism is akin to the big elephant in the room- most LGBT groups deal with sexual orientation, not gender orientation. Surprisingly, some LGBT groups/areas even discriminate against or treat transgenderism differently. For example, the lesbian bar Phase One in Washington D.C. welcomes gay women but subtly looks down on transgenders. Moreover, the Human Rights Campaign barely fights for the transgender community, and when it does, it's at a glacial pace. Some anecdotal evidence shockingly demonstrates the HRC's unwillingness to embrace transgender rights at marriage equality rallies. As a result, the transgender community has had to consolidate its forces in independent groups such as the National Center for Transgender Equality. I visited their headquarters in Northwest DC and was surprised at how sparse and tiny their space was. Just a few blocks away, HRC headquarters was undergoing a glamorous renovation that will turn their office building into a post modern glorification of gay rights.

On the other hand, I don't want to sound too pessimistic. Many safe spaces exist in DC for the trans community. The DC LGBT Center hosts weekly trans discussion groups. Town Danceboutique is full of female to males and male to females. Being transgender at this awesome night club feels like a mainstream identity. The DC trans masculine group has game nights and monthly coffee/happy hour meet ups. Progress is being made.

I think the 21st century holds great promise for American minority groups facing inhumane and simply disgusting forms of discrimination. I think that American society is embracing homosexuality like never before, and I think in 20 years coming out of the closet won't even exist. However, coming out of the closet as a transgender will certainly be a thing. The fight to accept transgenderism will be the hallmark social revolution from 2020 onwards. And, like most social revolutions, the fight will ultimately witness tremendous success.

No comments:

Post a Comment